Shadow a College of Engineering Major
Friday, March 8, 2019
Important: Please RSVP for this event no later than Wednesday, February 27. RSVP Link Coming soon.
|High school students interested in engineering or computer science are paired up with an MSU Norm Asbjornson College of Engineering major to get a taste of life as a NACOE student. They attend classes and tour cutting-edge research labs for a day.|
|Friday, March 8, 2019|
|7:30 a.m. until 2 p.m.|
Barnard Hall Atrium
|Pizza and Soda will be provided between 11:30 am and 1:30 pm. Location TBA|
|Montana State University - Bozeman. High school and NACOE students meet in the atrium at Barnard Hall (near the corner of S. 7th Ave. and W. Grant Street).|
Lunch will be provided.
High School participants are paired with a Norm Asbjornson College of Engineering student according to their interest in one of these areas:
- Biological Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science (software)
- Computer Engineering (hardware)
- Construction Engineering Technology
- Electrical Engineering
- Financial Engineering
- Industrial & Management Systems Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering Technology
Visit these websites to learn about different engineering disciplines before you decide which one interests you most.
Try Engineering (will open in a new window)
Discover e (will open in a new window)
For questions, email email@example.com.
Current MSU - Norm Asbjornson College of Engineering Students
Uncover the mystery of Engineering or Computer Science for a visiting high school student! YOU can help with their transition to college AND becoming a successful student in the Norm Asbjornson College of Engineering (NACOE).
Here are some things you can do:
- What sparks their interests about Engineering or Computer Science? Connect their interests to possible majors in the college.
- You've had fabulous experiences on and off campus, share highlights of your internship adventures and/or project experience(s).
- Of course, take them to class and share your secrets to success (i.e. reviewing concepts planned for class).
- Share class syllabi and teach them how to manage the information to meet deadlines and group project expectations.
- Check with your lab instructor about a tour highlighting the exciting research taking place at MSU and how a NACOE major opens doors.
- Introduce them to your home department and how to find advising support.
- Walk through Norm Asbjornson Hall and show the next generation how NACOE is moving engineering education into the 21st century.
- Have you visited the Dean's Office and the Starburst bowl? Introduce them to the Dean's Office and pass on the knowledge of its location.
- Introduce them to the NACOE ePALs.
- The NACOE Advising & Student Resources Hub website is available 24/7 and is a student-informed advising resource - share this website with your Shadow.
- MSU and NACOE has many Help Centers to support student learning, share their locations and how to gain access (Math, Physics, Chemistry, Engineering Mechanics, Writing, Computer Science, etc).
- Don't forget, there's pizza for lunch!
- Introduce them to the Allen Yarnell Center for Student Success and play a game of Billiards or Air Hockey in the MSU Rec Center.